Food Choices and the Planet
Taken from Glen E. Friedman's Interesting Vegan Facts: http://www.southern.net/BURNINGFLAGS/VEGANVEGAN.html:
1) It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of feedlot beef.
2) 70% of US grain production is fed to livestock.
3) 5 million acres of rainforest are felled every year in South and Central America alone to create cattle pasture.
4) Roughly 20% of all currently threatened and endangered species in the US are harmed by livestock grazing.
5) Animal agriculture is a chief contributor to water pollution.
6) America's farm animals produce 10 times the waste produced by the human population.
7) One half of the Earth's land mass is grazed by livestock.
8) Overgrazing is by far the most pervasive cause of desertification.
9) 35 pounds of topsoil are lost in the production of one pound of grain-frd beef.
10) 64% of US cropland produces livestock feed.
11) Only 2% of US cropland produces fruits and vegetables.
Hey guys! I finally found a free version of Forks Over Knives (let's hope the link stays up). So without further ado, here it is! (click...
Mimi Kirk was voted Sexiest Vegetarian over 5o a couple of years ago... She's looking better than ever, and she credits her vega...
Chocolate pudding that's good for you!? You're going to freak out when I tell you that it takes only 3 minutes to prepare... ...
Nutrition and Behavior: A World Without Water: No Impact Man: Earthlings: A Cow At My Table: Corporation: Milk: T...
Ok, so my two week detox is over and I want to tell you some of what the results are so you might go and try this yourself. I wa...
I made this Photoshop image, and then thought to myself, "If mermaids were real, would there be laws against harvesting them for fo...
Good morning my lovelies! It's time to whip you into shape with our beautiful-vegan-boot-camp! We're going to focus on 3 really...
This is what I ate for dinner last night. I was feeling kind of down because I wanted something raw and James was frying up some vegan per...
1. Sprouts: Probably the simplest thing to grow inside, and full of nutrients, are sprouts of various plants such as alfalfa, bean...
VEAGAN MYTH-BUSTER # 1. "Vegans are tree-hugging nuts" There are many reasons people choose the vegan lifestyle, whether it...
for all their help with designing / promoting this website.